25min 16mm experimental drama 1989
Restored to HD in 2020 using original film materials.
Written, Directed and Produced by Margot Nash
Three women's world's collide by chance. A film about internal and external states of emergency, resistence and spirit.
"I am the dreamer, the redhead, I search for hidden treasure: which fragment would yield the gold, which memory would haunt forever?"
" I am the investigator, I watch, I record, I collect evidence: little men who get rich quick, this wilful heritage, this aching land."
"I am the fool, the hothead, distracted, temporarily unavailable: in love, out of love, searching for love."
Three women, strangers to each other, yet their lives seem inexplicably linked. SHADOW PANIC is a short experimental film about internal and external states of emergency, about personal and collective shadows, about resistance and spirit.
Watch the trailer
FESTIVALS and SCREENINGS
• Cinema Reborn, Randwick Ritz
•Cinenova London screening curated by Alex Martinus Roe
• The National - New Australian Art Represented in It Was About Opening The Very Notion That There Was a Particular Persepective by Alex Martinus Roe, AGNSW Sydney
•Green Screen Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane
• UWA Vision, Memory, Spectacle - Aust Women’s and Gender Studies Conference
• Films Des Femmes Créteil FRANCE: Tribute to Aust & NZ women.
• Downloading Downunder: Australian Film and New Media Amsterdam
• IMAGES Toronto
• Films Des Femmes Créteil, France
• Clermont Ferrand Short Film Festival France
• American Film and Video Festival
• Wellington Film Festival
• Frames Festival Adelaide
• Insight Women’s Festival Canada
• London International Film festival
• Hawaii International Film festival
• Melbourne International International Film Festival
• OTHER PLEASURES Modern Image Makers Melbourne
• Spoletto Fringe Melbourne
• Sydney International Film Festival
Distribution and DVD sales: Go to Ronin Films
Theatrical release: Australia and UK. Screened theatrically in 1989 in London supporting Chantal Akerman’s feature Toute Une Nuit (1982)
Made with the assistance of the CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT FUND of the AUSTRALIAN FILM COMMISSION, THE WOMENS FILM FUND and the AUSTRALIA COUNCIL.
• Red Ribbon (Film as Art): American Film and Video Festival
• Innovative Award ATOM (Australian Teachers of Media) Awards
• Best Cinematography AFI Australian Film Institute Awards
• Certificate of Merit Melbourne Film Festival
• Special Commendation for a New Australian Film Frames Festival Adelaide
• Best Experimental Nomination AFI Awards
• Finalist Dendy Awards Sydney Film Festival.